The breadth and depth of UK-China cooperation will be on display this week (4-7 December) during a visit to the UK by Chinese Vice Premier Madame Liu Yandong for the UK-China People-to-People (P2P) Dialogue.
The P2P Dialogue is co-chaired by Secretary of State for Health Jeremy Hunt and Madame Liu. The Chinese Vice Premier will visit Edinburgh and Oxford as well as London, where she will meet senior figures and attend a variety of events. She will also meet with the Foreign Secretary to discuss a number of issues including modern slavery, women’s equality and the DPRK.
The P2P Dialogue will enhance the UK-China partnership by promoting further collaboration on a broad range of issues including health, education, culture, science and innovation, tourism and sport.
Ministers are expected to agree a range of initiatives including new joint UK-China health agreements that will further our work on a number of healthcare challenges, further collaboration on female leadership and empowerment, and strengthening existing collaboration between higher education institutions.
Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson said:
The UK-China relationship is strong and continues to deliver benefits for both countries, so I am delighted to welcome Madame Liu to the UK for the People-to-People Dialogue.
China and Britain are both global powers with a global outlook, and will continue to work together to solve the big issues facing our world today, build economies of the future and develop our people-to-people links.
Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said:
I am delighted to once again co-chair the People-to-People Dialogue, which will reaffirm the strong ties between the UK and China and underline our commitment to working together to solve some of the biggest issues facing the world today.
Health is a key pillar in this relationship, which is why we will be collaborating to tackle major health issues such as fighting disease and improving health outcomes for all.
Find out more: why China matters to the UK
Why China matters to the UK
- The theme for the UK-China P2P Dialogue in 2017 is Spirit of Youth, a UK government campaign in China that promotes deeper collaboration and exchange through inspiring the next generation of leaders in both countries.
- The P2P Dialogue will maintain the momentum of the Golden Era of bilateral relations, established during President Xi’s State Visit in 2015.
- During her visit to the UK, Vice-Premier Liu is expected to:
- Meet the Prime Minister and the Foreign Secretary in London, and visit HRH The Princess Royal and the Duke of York at Buckingham Palace
- Witness the launch of the UK-China joint Science and Innovation strategy
- Co-chair a cross-cutting plenary meeting of the P2P with Jeremy Hunt MP, Secretary of State for Health and UK chair of the P2P. The meeting will also be attended by Justine Greening, Karen Bradley and a senior ministerial delegation from both the UK and China
- Participate in a forum for CEOs in the creative industries and a roundtable of Young Leaders including young parliamentarians
- Travel to Edinburgh, where she will receive an honorary degree from Edinburgh University
- Travel to Oxford, where she will deliver a speech at the Sheldonian Theatre