GOV.UK has detailed information about what you should know about travelling to an area that can be affected by hurricanes.
There are a number of things you can do to prepare yourself if you live in, or are planning to travel to, this region including:
• giving family or friends the address and telephone number of where you are staying, and calling them to let them know your plans if a hurricane is forecast to affect the area you are in
• paying close attention to weather reports on local TV and radio stations
• keeping important numbers handy such as family, and friends, airlines, tour operators, travel insurance providers and that of the British Embassy Havana.
• ensuring that you have access to supplies of food, water, radios, torches, first aid kit, etc.
• follow the Foreign Office and British Embassy Havana on social media for the latest updates to Foreign & Commonwealth Office Travel Advice.
Local authorities will provide information about weather conditions and shelter locations through local television and radio stations.
You can also monitor weather updates from the US National Hurricane Centre and the World Meteorological Organisation.