Energy trends and prices statistical release: 18 December 2014
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The latest provisional monthly energy statistics produced by the Department of Energy and Climate Change were released on 18 December 2014 according to the arrangements approved by the UK Statistics Authority.
Highlights for the 3 month period August 2014 to October 2014, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK fell by 4.9%, on a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 5.4%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production fell by 2.7% (table ET 1.1), with nuclear down 25% (table ET 5.4) and oil output down by 4.0%. (table ET 3.10)
- Lower coal generation due to the closure of plants, resulting in gas share now higher than coal. (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 36.6% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with coal at 28.7% and nuclear at 19.1%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 5.9%, due to increased capacity, whilst overall renewables up 24% with growth in biomass.* (table ET 5.4)
- In October 2014 renewables generation exceeded nuclear generation for the first time. (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 1.2 percentage points to 34.7%, due to fall in nuclear generation.* (table ET 5.4)
- Petrol and diesel prices down sharply, reflecting lower crude oil price. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity*, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of October 2014.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of November 2014.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for November 2014, and petrol & diesel data for December 2014, with EU comparative data for November 2014.
The latest release updates the statistics previously released on 27 November 2014.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 29 January 2015.
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
To access the latest data tables please click on the relevant subject link(s) below.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number||Title|
|ET 1.1||Indigenous production of primary fuels|
|ET 1.2||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis|
|ET 2.5||Coal production and foreign trade|
|ET 2.6||Coal consumption and coal stocks|
|ET 3.10||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports|
|ET 3.11||Stocks of petroleum|
|ET 3.12||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products|
|ET 3.13||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption|
|ET 4.2||Natural gas production and supply|
|ET 4.3||Natural gas imports and exports|
|ET 4.4||Natural gas imports|
|ET 5.3||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers|
|ET 5.4||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system|
|ET 5.5||Availability and consumption of electricity|
|ET 7.1||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.2||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.3||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean|
|ET 7.4||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean|
|Domestic energy price indices|
|QEP 2.1.1||Retail prices index: fuel components|
|QEP 2.1.2||Retail prices index: fuel components, relative to GDP deflator|
|QEP 2.1.3||Retail prices index: fuels components monthly figures|
|Monthly and annual prices of road fuels and petroleum product|
|QEP 4.1.1||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (monthly data)|
|QEP 4.1.2||Typical retail prices of petroleum products and a crude oil price index (annual data)|
|International road fuel prices|
|QEP 5.1.1||Premium unleaded petrol prices in the EU|
|QEP 5.2.1||Diesel prices in the EU|