Energy production and consumption statistics are provided in total and by fuel, and provide an analysis of the latest 3 months data compared to the same period a year earlier. Energy price statistics cover domestic price indices, prices of road fuels and petroleum products and comparisons of international road fuel prices.
Energy production and consumption
Highlights for the 3 month period September to November 2015, compared to the same period a year earlier include:
- Primary energy consumption in the UK on a fuel input basis fell by 0.7%, on a temperature adjusted basis it fell by 2.3%. (table ET 1.2)
- Indigenous energy production rose by 10.8%, boosted by increased UK Continental Shelf and nuclear production. (table ET 1.1)
- Electricity generation by Major Power Producers down 0.6%, with coal down 34% but offset by increases in nuclear up 38% and renewables up 28%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Gas provided 34.7% of electricity generation by Major Power Producers, with coal at 23.1% and nuclear at 22.7%.* (table ET 5.4)
- Wind generation by Major Power Producers up 34%, with record levels for total and offshore wind generation in November 2015.* (table ET 5.4)
- Low carbon share of electricity generation by Major Power Producers up 10.7 percentage points to 42.2%, due to rises in nuclear and renewables generation.* (table ET 5.4)
*Major Power Producers (MPPs) data published monthly, all generating companies data published quarterly.
Highlights for January 2016 compared to December 2015:
- Petrol prices down 1.9 pence per litre on month whilst diesel prices down 5.0 pence per litre, prices for both fuels are at their lowest levels since June and May 2009 respectively, driven by the continued fall in crude oil prices. (table QEP 4.1.1)
Lead statistician Iain Macleay, Tel 0300 068 5048
Press enquiries, Tel 0300 060 4000
Statistics on monthly production and consumption of coal, electricity, gas, oil and total energy include data for the UK for the period up to the end of November 2015.
Statistics on average temperatures, wind speeds, sun hours and rainfall include data for the UK for the period up to the end of December 2015.
Statistics on energy prices include retail price data for the UK for December 2015, and petrol & diesel data for January 2016, with EU comparative data for December 2015.
The next release of provisional monthly energy statistics will take place on 25 February 2016.
To access the data tables associated with this release please click on the relevant subject link(s) below. For further information please use the contact details provided.
Please note that the links below will always direct you to the latest data tables. If you are interested in historical data tables please contact DECC (firstname.lastname@example.org)
|Subject and table number
||Energy production and consumption, and weather data
||Contact: Kevin Harris, Tel: 0300 068 5041
||Indigenous production of primary fuels
||Inland energy consumption: primary fuel input basis
||Contact: Coal statistics, Tel: 0300 068 5050
||Coal production and foreign trade
||Coal consumption and coal stocks
||Contact: Natalie Cartwright, Tel: 0300 068 5260
||Indigenous production, refinery receipts, imports and exports
||Stocks of petroleum
||Refinery throughput and output of petroleum products
||Deliveries of petroleum products for inland consumption
||Contact: Shyam Lakhani, Tel: 0300 068 6865
||Natural gas production and supply
||Natural gas imports and exports
||Natural gas imports
||Contact: Electricity statistics, Tel: 0300 068 2928
||Fuel used in electricity generation by major producers
||Electricity production and availability from the public supply system
||Availability and consumption of electricity
||Contact: Susan Lomas, Tel: 0300 068 5047
||Average temperatures and deviations from the long term mean
||Average wind speed and deviations from the long term mean
||Average daily sun hours and deviations from the long term mean
||Average monthly rainfall and deviations from the long term mean