Detail of outcome
The government has published its response to the Taking flight: the future of drones in the UK consultation.
It outlines the government’s decisions, including to:
- legislate to give the police greater powers to tackle drone misuse, including the power to issue on the spot fines
- better protect our airports by extending the area around airports and runways in which drones are banned from being flown
The outcome was released on 7 January 2019.
Detail of feedback received
The consultation had 5,061 responses.
Consultation proposing policies for drone use and enforcement. The proposed policies include:
- the minimum age requirement for operators for small unmanned aircraft
- whether the 1km flight restriction around protected aerodromes is sufficient
- a proposal to mandate and regulate a Flight Information and Notification System (FINS) or just regulate the FINS
- the powers required by enforcement bodies in order to properly police drone use and penalise incorrect use, including the possible use of fixed penalty notices
- counter drone technology system proposals
An impact assessment of the Drones and Other Unmanned Aircraft Bill is available.