Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
As a result of the consultation the original draft Marine Notices and Impact Assessment have been revised. A table listing the comments received and responses to the points raised has been released.
The Boatmasters’ Qualifications, Crew and Hours of Work Regulations will be introduced in 2015. The Marine Notices available on this site are final drafts which industry can use to familiarise themselves with the upcoming Regulations. However, please be aware that there may be small changes in the final published version.
Formally consulting on amending the boatmasters’ licence (BML) regulations to:
- extend the licensing structure to include a BML for restricted local tidal operations
- increase the list of qualifications which can be held in lieu of a BML
- recognise additional training which is considered equivalent to some areas of BML training
- address safety issues not provided for under the regulations, such as the introduction of additional training and revalidation requirements for masters undertaking certain operations, and a new offence of operating whilst being medical unfit
- amend and simplify the current regulations and guidance for ease of public accessibility
- incorporate the Merchant Shipping (Local Passenger Vessels) (Crew) Regulations 2006 so that all boatmaster issues will be located in one set of regulations.