Rural Land Register

To be eligible for payments in England under the Single Payment Scheme (SPS) and rural development schemes, agricultural land must be registered on the Rural Land Register (RLR).

The RLR is managed by the Rural Payments Agency (RPA). It uses information from:

  • Ordnance Survey
  • farmers and land owners
  • rural inspections

All land under the following schemes must be registered on the RLR:

  • Single Payment Scheme
  • Uplands Transitional Payment
  • Environmental Stewardship
  • English Woodland Grant Scheme

Land in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

The RLR is for land in England only. If your land is in more than one country, you’ll need to register it separately for each country.

Contact RPA


Helpline 03000 200 301

Find out about call charges.

Published 10 July 2014