Requests for personal data and service records: a detailed guide

How to apply for access to personal data held by the Ministry of Defence (MOD).

Information about how to:

  • apply for your own records (Subject Access Request)
  • apply for service records of deceased service personnel
  • apply for Home Guard service records
  • apply for RAF casualty files
  • apply for information about potentially hazardous exposure (Special Subject Access Request)

A short guide to finding out how to get a copy of military service records is available.

Information on making a complaint about how your request was handled.

Obtain your own records

Subject Access Request (SAR).

Records of deceased service personnel

Home Guard records

  1. Request Home Guard service records

RAF casualty files

Potential hazardous exposure

Including information for Porton Down volunteers.

Published 9 November 2016