National curriculum assessments: test frameworks
Guidance for test developers working on key stage 1 and key stage 2 national curriculum tests.
The test frameworks are written primarily for test developers; they will be used by item writing agencies and the Standards and Testing Agency throughout the test development process.
Teachers should not use the frameworks to guide teaching and learning. They do not provide information on how the new national curriculum should be taught.
Each test framework sets out:
- what will and won’t be assessed by the test
- how each element of the subject will be assessed
- the structure of the test
- the standard a child will be expected to achieve in the test
The documents in this collection are the final test frameworks for the national curriculum tests in 2016.
Key stage 1
Test frameworks for the new key stage 1 national curriculum tests.
Key stage 2
Test frameworks for the new key stage 2 national curriculum tests.
Published: 31 March 2014
Updated: 29 June 2015
- Final test framework documents added to the collection
- Corrected the date when the final frameworks will be published.
- First published.