PHE's FW&E laboratories protect the public from significant health threats associated with food, water and environmental hazards.
Public Health England’s food, water and environmental (FW&E) laboratories provide:
- accredited specialist microbiology tests on food, dairy, water and environmental samples
- expert advice on the threat to health from pathogens found in food, water and dairy products and how these can be identified and controlled
- training for staff from organisations such as local authorities and port health authorities
- results from tests and interpretation, which can be used as evidence for prosecutions in food poisoning and environmental contamination outbreaks
- results from public health investigations and local and national surveys, which help PHE understand how changes (such as effects of new food practices, or new legislation) may affect public health
- research and development, including developing and applying new techniques to detect emerging and evolving pathogens, and to produce more rapid and more informative test results and analysis