The laboratory provides diagnostic microbiological testing services for the examination of food, water and environmental samples.
The York food, water and environmental laboratory provides public health focused testing in line with regulation and guidance for a range of stakeholders including: local authorities, port health authorities, the NHS and commercial companies.
The laboratory serves, Yorkshire and the Humber, the north-east, Lincolnshire and the east midland regions, as well as commercial customers within the regions and across England.
The laboratory provides a range of services which include:
- general hygiene screens for food samples and surface swabs
- detection and identification of pathogens such as salmonella, listeria, campylobacter, vibrio, Escherichia coli (E. coli) O157 by conventional techniques and PCR (for salmonella, listeria, campylobacter and E. coli O157)
- spoilage organisms such as yeasts and moulds
- shelf-life tests for foods
- dairy product testing including determination of phosphatase
- shellfish classification testing
- swimming and spa pool water quality
- potable and surface or recreational water quality
- legionella and pseudomonas in water supplies
- endoscopy rinse water and renal dialysis water
- Bacillus anthracis detection in environmental samples
- support for investigation of outbreaks
- UKAS no. 2724
- ISO 17025
Food, water and environmental microbiology laboratory York
National Agri-Food Innovation Campus
Telephone 01904 468 948
Fax 01904 468 082