London food, water and environmental laboratory: services
The laboratory provides diagnostic microbiological testing services for the examination of food, water and environmental samples.
The London food, water and environmental laboratory provides public health focused testing in line with regulation and guidance for a range of stakeholders including: local authorities, port health authorities, NHS and commercial companies.
The laboratory serves the east and south-east of England across the counties of Norfolk, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Greater London, Kent and Essex.
The laboratory provides a range of services which include:
- rapid-growing mycobacteria species
- detection of food and water-borne pathogens, including: Campylobacter species, Escherichia coli (E.coli) O157, Salmonella species and Listeria monocytogenes
- enumeration of food and water-borne indicator organisms, including E. coli, coliform bacteria, enterobacteriaceae and aerobic colony counts
- Cronobacter sakazakii testing
- environmental testing - detection for pathogens and enumeration of indicator organisms
- dairy product testing including determination of phosphatase
- legionella testing, sampling guidance and result interpretation guidance
- endoscopy and dialysis water sample testing
- support for investigation of outbreaks
Food, water and environmental microbiology laboratory London
Public Health England
61 Colindale Avenue
Telephone 0208 327 6548 / 6550 / 6551
Fax 020 8327 6542