Compensation Recovery Unit

The Compensation Recovery Unit recovers social security benefits in certain compensation cases and NHS costs in certain injury cases.

The Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU), as part of Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), works with insurance companies, solicitors and any DWP customers, to recover:

  • amounts of social security benefits paid as a result of an accident, injury or disease, if a compensation payment has been made (the Compensation Recovery Scheme)
  • costs incurred by NHS hospitals and Ambulance Trusts for treatment from injuries from road traffic accidents and personal injury claims (Recovery of NHS Charges)

On this page

Registering a compensation claim

Compensators who receive a claim for compensation must send form CRU1 to the CRU within 14 days to register the claim. Registering the claim does not mean that you have accepted liability for the accident, injury or disease.

Please include a National Insurance number on form CRU1 to help us:

  • decide if there are any recoverable benefits
  • deal with urgent certificate requests

Go to CRU forms.

Acknowledgement of your registration

We will send you an acknowledgement form when you register a claim. You will need to return this acknowledgement form to us when you apply for a certificate.

Transfer of responsibility

If you are a solicitor who has taken over responsibility for a case that has already been registered, please send us form CRU1 (Sol). If you subsequently return responsibility to the insurer, please send us form CRU1 (Rep).

CRU e-service

You can use the CRU e-service if your company cannot use any of the following services:

  • CRIF (Cache PI)
  • Experian (Claims Underwriting Exchange (CUE))
  • Insurance Services Office (ISO – Claims Outcome Adviser)
  • Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)

Please do not use the CRU e-service if your company already has another electronic link with CRU.

How it works

Compensators and their representatives can use the CRU e-service to:

  • request a certificate for a claim that has already been registered
  • notify the result of a claim that has already been registered
  • check a previous e-service transaction

We will issue a certificate by post to the address we hold for the compensator within 28 days of receiving the request.

Contact the CRU e-service

If you have any questions about the CRU e-service, email us at

How to make a CRU payment

You’ll be asked to make payments to the DWP CRU once the claim is settled.

DWP CRU bank account to be used for payments

Account name Sort code Account number
DWP CRU 60 70 80 10027432

Email addresses for remittances

Please provide the CRU reference when you email a remittance slip to the CRU to tell us a payment is being made. Or you can provide the CRU reference with the payment.

Email addresses to be used to send remittances to are:

Contact CRU

We take calls from 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Our phone number will be at the top of any letter we send you.

If you have a speech or hearing impairment our office has the Text Relay facility. The Text Relay number will be at the top of any letter we send you. The Text Relay number will be 18001 followed by the phone number.

Contacts for claims that have been registered

Subject Phone Fax Email
Request certificate 0191 22 52359
Notify settlement
Personal injury claims 0800 15 13157 0191 22 52366
Disease claims 0800 15 13185 0191 22 52955
Clinical negligence claims 0800 15 13159 0191 22 52645
NHS cases 0800 15 13189 0191 22 52309
Reviews 0800 15 13192 0191 22 52343
Dispute resolution team and reviews 0800 15 13193 0191 22 52102
National recoupment team 0800 15 13186

Customer feedback team

Subject Phone Email
Feedback on guidance and legislation 0800 15 13196

Data protection and right of access requests

Phone Fax Email
0800 15 13195 0191 225 2150

Freedom of Information

If you have a request under the Freedom of Information Act that is specific to CRU, email

Our address

Debt Centre Washington
Compensation Recovery Unit
Post Handling Site B
WV99 2FR

Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme

See the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority.

Compensation Recovery in Northern Ireland

See the Department for Communities in Northern Ireland.

Guidance and forms

Guidance and forms for compensators and their representatives.


Information for CRU customers including compensators, their representatives and personal injury claims managers.

  1. Compensation Recovery Unit bulletins


CRU publishes data on its performance and on recoveries under the 2008 Diffuse Mesothelioma Scheme.

If you've claimed compensation

These guides are for people who have claimed compensation.

Published 1 September 2013
Last updated 25 July 2019 + show all updates
  1. Added the Compensation Recovery Unit customer satisfaction survey 2018.
  2. Revised contact CRU phone numbers for: contacts for claims that have been registered, customer feedback team and right of access requests. Changed made to CRU address, too.
  3. Removed Compensation Recovery Unit (CRU) Customer Service Managers contact information due to restructuring to our debt centre. New contact information will be added at a later date.
  4. Updated CRU contacts for Customer service managers for disease, assessments customer service managers and Universal Credit.
  5. Compensation Recovery Unit customer satisfaction survey 2018 added to the collection.
  6. Revised Contact CRU, Customer service managers by removing 'Compensation and personal injury cases' section and adding contact to 'Assessments customer service manager' list.
  7. Updated customer service manager information.
  8. Compensation Recovery Unit have been having problems with electronic files since Monday, 1 July 2018. We are working to fix the problem and will let you know when we have. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
  9. Changed fax number for CRU Clinical negligence claims to 0191 225 2645.
  10. Revised CRU contact information for Customer Service Managers (Disease, Universal Credit and Customer feedback team manager).
  11. Revised CRU contact information for 'Dispute resolution team and reviews'.
  12. Revised CRU contact information for Data Protection and Freedom of Information.
  13. Changed 'DWP CRU bank account to be used for payments' details.
  14. Updated Customer Service Manager for diseases and added contact for Universal Credit.
  15. Revised Data Protection phone number to: 0191 225 2547.
  16. Added new CRU email address for Clinical Negligence.
  17. Added a note stating the CRU e-service will be unavailable from 8pm on Friday 9 December to 3:05am on Saturday 10 December.
  18. Updated Customer Service Manager (compensation and personal injury cases and customer feedback team manager) and data protection contact details.
  19. Added new CRU email address for Freedom of Information requests.
  20. Changed 'Data protection and Freedom of Information' phone number to: 0191 224 7819.
  21. CRU customer feedback team telephone number changed to: 019 225 2347.
  22. Updated Contact CRU 'Customer Service Managers' - NHS and Clinical Negligence and Disease.
  23. Updated 'Contacts for claims that have been registered' - NHS cases and 'Customer Service Manager' - NHS cases.
  24. Added new CRU postal address.
  25. Changes to Customer Service Managers.
  26. Added section: How to make a CRU payment.
  27. Added contact email address for notifying CRU settlements.
  28. Published a report of findings from the 2014 customer satisfaction survey.
  29. First published.