The NHSBT / PHE epidemiology unit, and the epidemiology of infections among blood, tissue and organ donors and recipients.
The NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) / Public Health England (PHE) epidemiology unit collates and reports national epidemiological data on:
- bloodborne infections among donors
- the associated risk of transmission through transfusion and transplant
This information contributes to maintaining a safe supply of blood, tissues and organs through:
- informing donor selection criteria
- monitoring trends in infections
- following up any reported post-transfusion infections
The unit manages a series of national surveillance schemes:
- infections in blood donors
- infections among deceased and living tissue donors
- infections in organ donors
- transfusion transmitted infection, contributing to serious hazards of transfusion (SHOT)
Data from these schemes are used to assess and improve blood, tissue and organ safety.
Blood borne viruses unit (BBVU)
The NHSBT / PHE epidemiology unit works closely with the Blood borne viruses unit (BBVU) to improve blood safety, funded by the NHSBT.