- Public Health England
- Part of:
- Bloodborne infections in blood, tissue and organ donors (BIBD): guidance, data and analysis
- 19 February 2010
The NHSBT/PHE epidemiology unit scans publications for emerging infection news relevant to blood, tissue and organ donation safety in the UK.
The joint NHS Blood and Transplant (NHSBT) / PHE epidemiology unit scans various sources using a formal horizon scanning system, for emerging infection news that may be of relevance to patient safety or blood and tissue availability. Of particular interest are updates on:
- Crimean-Congo haemorrhagic fever
- pandemic and avian influenza
- tick-borne encephalitis
- West Nile virus
- PHE Emerging Infections monthly summaries
- PHE malaria surveillance data
- National Travel Health Network and Centre (NaTHNaC) clinical updates
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) news and epidemiological updates
- Program for Monitoring Emerging Diseases (ProMED) outbreak and news alerts
- peer reviewed literature
Relevant items are collated into a monthly listing for the Chair of the UK Standing Advisory Committee on Transfusion Transmitted Infection (SACTTI). The chair of SACTTI receives early warning communications or other reports deemed urgent as they arise.
These monthly listings, alongside other sources of information are reviewed by SACTTI and may lead to further risk assessment and changes to the donor selection guidelines, or other blood safety measures, where necessary.
See the JPAC position statement on emerging infections (link to PDF)
Contact email@example.com for further information.
Published: 19 February 2010