Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)
All the information you need to know about the main rural payment for farmers in the EU.
What is the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)?
The Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) is the biggest of the European Union’s rural grants and payments to help the farming industry.
Farmers apply once a year - normally in May - and payments begin in December.
Read this collection to find out more about the scheme.
Who’s it for?
Farmers with at least 5 hectares of agricultural land and 5 ‘entitlements’ can apply. Some businesses aren’t allowed to claim if they carry out certain business activities.
Farmers who claimed the old Single Payment Scheme were invited to apply in 2015, but if you’re new to farming you might be able to get it as well. If you’re under 40, you might even be able to get extra money too.
What do I need to do?
There are some rules about what you can and can’t do with your land if you claim BPS.
If you’re an arable farmer you might need to grow 3 different crops and use 5% of your land to do specific things that are good for the environment. Farmers will need to make decisions about what to do with their land so that they can follow the rules.
If you claim BPS you must also follow the cross compliance rules.
How do I apply?
It’s too late to apply for BPS in 2016. The next time you can apply will be in 2017. Read the BPS 2017 page for the latest news.
Latest news about the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS) 2017 scheme year.
Everything rural businesses need to know about the Basic Payment Scheme in 2016 - including how to claim BPS online using the Rural Payments system.
Guidance and information about the Basic Payment Scheme 2015 scheme year.
Published: 24 February 2015
Updated: 16 July 2015
- Updated to confirm BPS 2015 application is now closed
- Updated to remove information about late applications - as the claim window has now closed.
- Updated to remind readers of late application penalties for BPS.
- This collection now includes the May 2015 update.
- Added link to The Basic Payment Scheme in England: May 2015 guidance update (ver 1 May 2015)
- Updated with a list of all the latest guidance for BPS.
- Added certification form to prove 'new' or 'young' farmer status to the collection.
- New section with links to 'Telling us about your land' blog added to the page.
- First published.