Help with your energy bills

If you’re on benefits or have a low income you may be eligible for:

  • the Warm Home Discount Scheme
  • energy-saving improvement schemes
  • home energy support payments

Warm Home Discount Scheme

The Warm Home Discount Scheme has closed. It will reopen in October 2024.

The Warm Home Discount Scheme is not available in Northern Ireland. Find out about the Affordable Warmth scheme.

Get help with energy-saving improvements

You can apply for help with home energy-saving improvements if you get certain benefits, live in social housing or are on a low income. Find out more about: 

Other help

You may be able to get other kinds of support, including:

If you’re struggling to pay your energy bill

You can contact Citizens Advice for information on grants and support to help you pay your energy bills.

If you cannot afford to top up your prepayment meter

You can get temporary credit from your supplier. You will have to pay this back.

You may also be able to get a fuel voucher. This is a code given to you in a letter, text message or email which you can use to add credit to your gas card or electricity key. 

Contact your local council, food bank or Citizens Advice to find out more.