Get help with the cost of living from your local council

You may be able to get help with essential costs from your local council. This is sometimes known as ‘the Household Support Fund’. This could help if you’re struggling to afford things like:

  • energy and water bills
  • food
  • essential items

Your council may also offer food vouchers to families during the school holidays.

Who the Household Support Fund is for

Funding is aimed at anyone who’s vulnerable or cannot pay for essentials. You do not have to be getting benefits to get help from your local council.

If you get benefits, they will not be affected if you get a payment from a Household Support Fund scheme.

Find out about schemes in your area

Councils decide how to run their schemes. There may be differences in:

  • eligibility criteria
  • if or how you need to apply
  • who money is given to

For example, some councils share out money through local charities and community groups and some limit household applications to one per year.

Check with your local council to find out what support is available.

Other help you can get

You can also: