Get copies of patent, trade mark or design documents

Skip to contents of guide


You can get copies of documents if you need to prove who owns or has applied for a UK patent, trade mark or design registration.

There are 2 types of copy – certified and uncertified.

You can also request a replacement of the registration certificate.

Certified copy

This is an official document, also called a Certificate of the Registrar.

You need a certified copy to:

  • register a piece of intellectual property (IP) outside the UK
  • prove legal ownership of intellectual property, such as in a court case

Uncertified copy

An uncertified copy is a photocopy or digital copy of the details on the register. You can use this for research or personal use.

Replacement certificates

A replacement certificate is a reissue of the registration certificate.

This is not included when you request a certified or uncertified copy.

You need a good reason to get a replacement certificate - for example, you’ve lost the original or did not receive it.