Foreign travel advice



On 22 September 2016 a state of emergency was declared in the city of Charlotte, North Carolina, following violent protests. You should monitor local media and follow the advice of the local authorities.

You’ll need prior authorisation to enter the United States using a British passport, either through a visa, a Permanent Resident Card, or the Visa Waiver Programme. Restrictions apply depending on the type of passport you hold, your nationality, criminal history, and countries you may have recently visited. It’s your responsibility to know and understand the entry rules before you travel. See Entry requirements.

Around 3.8 million British nationals visit the United States every year. Most visits are trouble free. Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

There is a general threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

The hurricane season normally runs from June to November and can affect US coastal regions. You should monitor the progress of approaching storms and follow the instructions issued by the local authorities, including any evacuation orders. See Natural disasters

If you’re travelling in California and other areas in the Pacific north-west in the summer months, be aware of the possibility of wildfires and monitor the advice of local authorities. See Natural disasters

Cases of locally transmitted Zika virus have been confirmed in Florida, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website for travel to Florida, for travel to Puerto Rico, for travel to US Virgin Islands.

You should be alert to the dangers of car and street crime. See Safety and Security