The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla on the Thai-Malaysia border. On 10 April 2014 the Australian authorities indicated that extremists may be planning to target westerners in the southern border provinces. See Terrorism

The FCO advise against all travel to the Preah Vihear (Khaoi Pra Viharn in Thai) temple area and the Ta Krabey/Ta Moan temple area located on the Thai-Cambodian border due to the presence of troops in the area and the risk of outbreaks of fighting. See Cambodian border

There is a high threat of terrorism. See Terrorism

Political demonstrations continue in and around Bangkok and elsewhere in Thailand. Some of these have been violent, including the use of firearms and grenades, and there have been casualties and deaths. The situation is unpredictable and further protests are expected. You should avoid protest sites.

Protest action in central Bangkok since 13 January has caused significant disruption to roads in affected areas, with knock-on effects across the city. The main protest site is at Lumpini Park. There are smaller protest sites at Ratchadamnoen (from Phan Fah to Royal Plaza), the government complex at Chaeng Watthana, Government House and the Ministry of Interior. There are also sporadic rallies to government offices and private companies.

There have been indiscriminate attacks involving weapons and explosives at protest sites and at protest marches. Attacks have taken place during the daytime and at night.

During the evening of 21 March there were bomb attacks at three locations in Chiang Mai: a PTT Petrol station in tambon Nong Hoi Muang district; Boonrawd Brewery in tambon Yang Nerng of Sarapee district; and the Andamon Seafood restaurant in tambon Pa Dad, Muang Chiang Mai district. The attacks injured 4 people and caused damage to property.

You should take extra care and avoid all protests, political gatherings, demonstrations and marches. Monitor local news and social media for developments. See Political situation

Tourist’s Friend Centres, which provide information for tourists, are located at the Sport Authority of Thailand in the Bangkapi district of Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, four BTS Skytrain stations (Siam, Phya Thai, Ekkamai and Wong Wian Yai) and Hua Lampong MRT station. You can also contact the Tourist’s Friend Centre by telephone on +66 (0)2 314 1212 (in English – 24 hours).

The majority of road traffic accidents in Thailand involve motorcycles, but accidents involving other vehicles including cars, coaches and mini-buses also occur. See Road travel

By law you must carry your passport with you at all times. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport. See Local laws and customs

Penalties for possession, distribution or manufacture of drugs are severe and can include the death penalty. See Local laws and customs

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

Over 800,000 British nationals visit Thailand every year. Most visits are trouble-free, but incidents of crime (sometimes violent) can affect visitors. See Crime

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.