On 6th February 2018 a 6.4 magnitude Earthquake struck near to the city of Hualien in eastern Taiwan. You should monitor alerts issued by the Central Weather Bureau and follow the advice of the local authorities.

There have been a number of smaller tremors since the earthquake struck. These could continue in the coming days and weeks.

Local authorities are reporting a small number of fatalities and a larger number of injured people. A small number of buildings have collapsed, with others suffering subsidence and damage.

Rail links to Hualien are reported to be working.

If you are a British national in Hualien who requires assistance, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) have set up a 24 hour English language emergency hotline to assist foreigners affected by the earthquake. This can be contacted on +886 (0) 800 085 095.

You can also contact the British Office Taipei on: +886 2 8758 2088.

There has been a significant increase in cases of dengue fever. See Health

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.

The UK does not recognise Taiwan as a state and has no diplomatic relations with Taiwan, so limited consular services are available to British nationals.

Around 38,000 British nationals visit Taiwan every year. Most visits are trouble-free. Nevertheless, you should maintain the same level of vigilance as you would at home, and take sensible precautions.

Crime levels are low, but small-scale petty crime does exist. You should maintain at least the same level of vigilance as you would at home, and take sensible precautions.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Taiwan, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

You can contact the emergency services by calling 110 (police) or 119 (ambulance and fire).

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.