Entry requirements

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 30 days from the date of exit from South Africa.

Although South African authorities state officially that only one blank passport page is required, some officials insist on two blank pages. You should therefore make sure you have at least two blank pages in your passport on arrival.


If you’re visiting South Africa on holiday for up to 90 days, you don’t need a visa.

For more information on entry requirements contact the South African High Commission or the South African Department of Home Affairs.

Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry into, transit and exit from South Africa but should have a minimum of 6 months validity.

Yellow fever

You must have a yellow fever certificate issued at least 10 days before arrival in South Africa if you have travelled from a  country with yellow fever. This includes when entry is solely to transit through a South African airport. If you don’t have a valid certificate, you will be denied entry to South Africa.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.