Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


You will need a visa to enter North Korea. For further information contact the Embassy of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) in London.

You must register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs if your visit is for more than twenty-four hours. Most hotels will automatically complete this process on your behalf.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry and exit from DPRK through China. You may be required to show a police report indicating how you lost your full passport.

If your ETD has been issued in DPRK, you will need an exit visa from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs before you can travel out of the country. This process can take up to 5 working days. ETDs are not produced in DPRK; therefore it may take the British Embassy 7 working days to obtain one from the British Consulate in neighbouring China.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.

Travelling with children

Single parents or other adults travelling alone with children should be aware that some countries need documentary evidence of parental responsibility before allowing lone parents to enter the country, or in some cases, before permitting the children to leave the country. British government staff based in North Korea are not allowed to be accompanied by their children because of the limited medical facilities within North Korea.