The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Nepal. If you have no pressing need to remain and can leave Nepal safely then you should do so.

A major earthquake occurred on 25 April. The epicentre was 81km west of Kathmandu. There has been extensive damage to buildings and infrastructure, particularly outside the Kathmandu valley.

A further earthquake took place on 12 May. The epicentre was in a rural area near Mount Everest. Further damage was caused and there have been extensive landslides in rural areas. There’s a continued risk of aftershocks and an increased risk of further landslides and avalanches in the mountains, including in all trekking areas.

The road to Kathmandu Tribhuvan International Airport is open and commercial flights on regular carriers are currently operating. Domestic commercial flights are operating between Kathmandu and major centres. Contact your airline or travel company for more information.

Some major roads are open, but conditions are hazardous and many roads in the mountains are blocked by landslides. You should seek local advice either from your tour operator, the tourist police or the Nepal Tourism Board.

If you’re a British national currently in Nepal and you need assistance from the FCO you should contact us by calling +44 207 008 1500.

Never trek alone. Use a reputable agency, remain on established routes and walk with at least one other person. Take note of weather conditions and forecasts, and come prepared. Altitude sickness is a risk in all trekking regions. See Trekking in Nepal.

All air carriers from Nepal have been refused permission to operate air services to the EU due to safety concerns. See Safety and security

Nepal is considered to be at high risk of a major earthquake. See Natural disasters

The Monsoon season in Nepal normally runs from June to September and can make travel in rural areas hazardous. See Natural disasters

There is a general threat from terrorism. See Terrorism

Around 40,000 British nationals visited Nepal in 2013. Most visits are trouble-free.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. If you are intending to travel at altitude, check that your insurance policy provides cover.