Foreign travel advice

Myanmar (Burma)

Important COVID-19 travel guidance

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Travel to some countries and territories is currently exempted.

This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so check our travel guidance.


The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice against all but essential international travel continues to apply for Myanmar. Additionally, if you’re already in Myanmar you should be aware of our pre-existing advice within the country, unrelated to COVID-19:

The Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) against all but essential travel to:

  • Rakhine State, except the southern townships (administrative areas similar to a borough or county) of Munaung, Thandwe (including the tourist resort of Ngapali) and Gwa
  • Paletwa township in southern Chin State
  • Shan State (North)
  • Kachin State (except the towns of Myitkyina, Bhamo and Putao).

For more information on these areas, see Local travel

Travel to Myanmar is subject to entry restrictions

  • The government of Myanmar has suspended all international commercial passenger flights until 31 October and all land borders are shut
  • Arrivals must comply with Myanmar’s COVID-19 quarantine requirements.

See Entry requirements for more information before you plan to travel.

Preparing for your return journey to the UK

If you’re returning to the UK from overseas, you will need to:

Check our advice on foreign travel during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and sign up for email alerts for this travel advice.

If you’re planning travel to Myanmar, find out what you need to know about coronavirus there in the Coronavirus section.

In response to an increased number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Rakhine State, the government of Myanmar currently advises foreign nationals against all but essential travel to Rakhine State. Restrictions are in place and may change at short notice. See Coronavirus

During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

As of 1 April, most staff and dependants in the British Embassy have been withdrawn. Core staff remain to continue critical work including consular assistance.

Take particular care in the border areas with China, Thailand, Bangladesh, India and Laos. The security situation in border areas is often volatile. Border areas have been particularly affected by military activity, ethnic militias, armed drug smugglers and the presence of landmines. There is ongoing conflict in the north of Shan State, Southern Chin, Kachin, Karen/Kayin and northern and central Rakhine states. In these areas, travellers should be prepared for a high armed, military and police presence including passing through checkpoints. There remains the possibility of violent clashes in other border areas. See Border areas

Political tension and unrest could happen at short notice. You should avoid all demonstrations and large gatherings. Don’t take photographs or videos of the police, demonstrations, military installations or military personnel. See Political situation

Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Myanmar. You should remain vigilant and follow the advice of local authorities. See Terrorism

UK health authorities have classified Myanmar as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For information and advice about the risks associated with Zika virus, visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Urban areas, particularly Yangon and Mandalay, can experience poor air quality. See Health

Credit and debit cards are increasingly accepted in major tourist areas but some cards don’t work. Check in advance that your card will work. See Money

Most visits to Myanmar are trouble-free. The most common types of consular assistance cases are related to lost passports, petty theft and road accidents.

If you need to contact local emergency services, call 199 for police, 192 for medical assistance and 191 for the fire service. You should be aware that phone operators may not speak English. Tourist Police outposts are available in Yangon, Bagan and Mandalay with English speaking officers. You can only visit these posts in person and they are not contactable by phone.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission. We continue to operate a skeleton consular service. However, the ability of the British Embassy to provide face-to-face assistance within Myanmar is currently limited, and would be even more limited in the event that the situation deteriorates further. In any case, consular support is largely unavailable in parts of Myanmar where embassy officials require travel permission from the Myanmar government. Permission is not guaranteed. The British Embassy’s ability to deliver consular assistance, including in an emergency, may be restricted or delayed in these areas. If you’re arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the British Embassy immediately.

If you’re resident in Myanmar or planning to stay for a longer period, you can find advice on our Living in Myanmar guide.

The Overseas Business Risk service offers information and advice for British companies operating overseas on how to manage political, economic, and business security-related risks.