Foreign travel advice


Important COVID-19 Exceptional Travel Advisory Notice

As countries respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, including travel and border restrictions, the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. Any country or area may restrict travel without notice. If you live in the UK and are currently travelling abroad, you are strongly advised to return now, where and while there are still commercial routes available. Many airlines are suspending flights and many airports are closing, preventing flights from leaving.


Coronavirus (COVID-19): stay up to date

It is currently not possible for British nationals to enter Mongolia due to restrictions imposed by the Mongolian Government. See Entry requirements.

All scheduled commercial flights have been cancelled but there are occasional charter flights from Mongolia organised by the Mongolian Government. Several charter flights have been announced for June 2020. For further details including dates and destinations see Return to the UK. As further information becomes available it will be shared on these pages and on the British Embassy Ulaanbaatar Twitter and Facebook sites. See Return to the UK

If you cannot currently return to the UK see Staying during coronavirus.

Around 6,500 British nationals visit Mongolia annually. Most visits are trouble-free.

Mongolia takes border security very seriously and foreign nationals aren’t routinely permitted access to border areas. The authorities can regard zones of up to 100km inside the border as a border area. If you wish to travel in these areas, you must get permission from the State Frontier Guard Authority. Only a few specified land border crossings are open to foreigners. See Border crossings

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Mongolia, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism.

Avoid going out on foot alone at night. Foreigners stand out and can be targeted for attack because of their comparative wealth. See Crime.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.