The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all travel to:
- the province of Tiris Zemmour (except the town of Zouérat)
- the province of Adrar (east of Atar)
- the provinces of Tagant and Hodh el Chargui
- within 50km of the Malian border
- within 25km of the Western Sahara border (except the Noukchott - Nouadhibou corridor)
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the rest of the country, including the Nouakchott - Nouadhibou corridor.
There is a general threat from terrorism, including kidnapping. Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by foreigners. See Terrorism
Demonstrations have taken place in the capital Nouakchott. Some have involved clashes between police and demonstrators resulting in the use of tear gas. You should avoid all demonstrations. See Political situation
There’s no British Embassy in Mauritania. If you need consular assistance while you are in Mauritania, contact the British Embassy in Rabat or any EU Embassy in Nouakchott. See Consular assistance
Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.