There’s no British Embassy in Honduras. Consular support may be limited in Honduras, with the exception of Tegucigalpa and the Bay Islands, and severely limited in more remote areas. See Consular assistance

There are currently large numbers of migrants moving en masse from Honduras through Guatemala to Mexico and beyond. This is having an impact on border crossings. The situation is fluid but borders crossings at Tecun Uman (Guatemala/Mexico) and Agua Caliente (Honduras/Guatemala) are currently affected and subject to periodic closures. Travellers are advised to check with local authorities and tour operators before attempting to cross land borders.

Demonstrations can occur throughout Honduras, often with little or no notice. If you’re travelling in Honduras, you should remain vigilant and avoid all demonstrations. In the event of any unrest, you should follow the advice and instructions of the local authorities, monitor local news channels and be prepared to amend your travel plans accordingly. See Safety and security

Airlines sometimes modify their schedules at short notice. You should check with your airline before you travel.

A new road is being built from the “El Florido” border crossing with Guatemala to the entrance of the town of Copán. These works are expected to last until February 2019. The “El Florido” border and the road are open only from 6am to 9pm. Please monitor the situation with your tour operator and with the local authorities (COPECO) and the National Institute of Migration.

The rainy season normally runs from June to November, coinciding with the hurricane season in the Caribbean. See Natural disasters

UK health authorities have classified Honduras as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For more information and advice visit the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Crime and violence are a serious problem throughout Honduras and the country has one of the highest homicide rates in the world. You should exercise a high degree of caution. See Crime

Avoid travelling on public buses (repainted US school buses). Private inter-city coach services are safer but not immune from attack. See Road travel

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Honduras, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

8,000 British nationals visited Honduras in 2015. Most visits are trouble free.

You can contact the emergency services by calling 199 (police), 195 (ambulance) or 198 (fire).

Take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel.