Foreign travel advice



Hurricane Maria is forecast to bring hazardous sea and weather conditions to eastern Cuba from around 21 September 2017. You should follow the advice of the local authorities and your tour operator. See Natural disasters.

Hurricane Irma passed over Cuba on 7 to 10 September. Many areas, including Havana, were without electricity and are damaged and/or flooded. Many roads are closed due to flooding and storm damage or debris. Some areas still have problems with electricity and water supply, so extra care is needed during hours of darkness. Airports have reopened and scheduled flights have resumed but there may be delays.

There are no reports of any casualties or injuries to British nationals in Cuba. If you’re in Cuba, you should follow the advice of your tour operator (who are guided by local authorities) and where possible stay in touch with your airline. If you’re travelling independently, you should follow the advice of your hotel or casa particular.

If you have a holiday booked for a future date you should liaise with your airline or tour operator or check with your hotel if they are damaged or will be open. There may be problems with utilities and services for the foreseeable future while the recovery is underway.

While there is no electricity there is no street lighting at night and traffic lights are not working. Take extra care if you have to be out at night.

You must take out comprehensive travel and medical insurance before you travel. You will be expected to present your insurance policy on arrival in the country.

Crime levels are low and mainly in the form of opportunistic theft. See Crime

Be cautious when travelling in Cuba. Driving standards are variable. See Road travel

UK health authorities have classified Cuba as having a risk of Zika virus transmission. For more information and advice, visit the website of the National Travel Health Network and Centre website.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in Cuba, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism

Most visits to Cuba are trouble free.

If you’re abroad and you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.