Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


British passport holders need a visa to enter Benin. You can either get a visa before travel at the Honorary Consulate of Benin in London:

Mr Lawrence Landau
Millenium House
Humber Road
Near Staples Corner

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8830 8612
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7435 0665

The Honorary Consulate is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays only, from 10:30am to 4:30pm.

Alternatively, since April 2018 it’s now possible to get a short stay single or multiple entry e-visa by applying and paying online. The visa will then be issued on arrival at the airport in Cotonou.

The nearest Embassy of Benin is in Paris:

Embassy of the Republic of Benin
87 Avenue Victor Hugo

Telephone: +331 145 009882, +33 142 223191
Fax: +33 145 -018202.

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of your exit from Benin.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) are accepted for entry, and exit from Benin.

Visas for Nigeria, Ghana and Togo

Non-resident British nationals in Benin who wish to travel to Nigeria and Ghana can’t obtain entry visas in Benin. You should apply for these before travelling to Benin. You can get a visa for Togo at the Togolese Embassy in Cotonou or at the Togo/Benin border.

Yellow fever certificate requirements

Check whether you need a yellow fever certificate by visiting the National Travel Health Network and Centre’s TravelHealthPro website.