Entry requirements

The information on this page covers the most common types of travel and reflects the UK government’s understanding of the rules currently in place. Unless otherwise stated, this information is for travellers using a full ‘British Citizen’ passport.

The authorities in the country or territory you’re travelling to are responsible for setting and enforcing the rules for entry. If you’re unclear about any aspect of the entry requirements, or you need further reassurance, you’ll need to contact the embassy, high commission or consulate of the country or territory you’re travelling to.

You should also consider checking with your transport provider or travel company to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.


British nationals travelling to Azerbaijan are usually required to get a visa in advance. Specific conditions apply, see the Azerbaijan Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for further details.

A simplified online visa system was introduced in January 2017. You can make an application on the Asan Visa website. Electronic visas are valid for 30 days and are single entry. You won’t be able to extend an electronic visa once you’ve arrived in Azerbaijan. The website also has an “urgent” option which provides a quicker service for an extra fee. Electronic visas cannot be issued to persons travelling on Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs).

You can still apply for a visa through the Azerbaijan Embassy-affiliated Visa Service Centre in the UK. You should apply for a visa at least one month ahead of your intended travel date. See the Visa Centre website for more information.

Make sure you check the duration of your visa immediately to avoid overstaying unintentionally. Your visa should be valid when departing Azerbaijan. In exceptional circumstances you may be able to apply to the State Migration Service for an extension to your visa. Their address is 202 Binagadi Highway, 3123 Block, Binagadi district, Baku city, AZ1114, Azerbaijan Republic; telephone +994 (0)12 562 56 23 or +994 (0)12 562 57 73; e-mail info@migration.gov.az

Alternatively, try the Migration Information Centre: telephone: 919 (in country calls only)

You can extend a visa by up to 60 days through the State Migration Service of the Republic of Azerbaijan.

If you overstay you can obtain an ‘Exit Permit’ letter (an official letter giving permission to leave Azerbaijan within 48 hours) from the State Migration Service before you depart. You will be liable to a fine of between AZN300 to AZN400 (you should get a receipt).

Passport validity

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months when you enter Azerbaijan.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents are accepted for entry, airside transit and exit from Azerbaijan.


If you’re staying in Azerbaijan for longer than 15 days you must register with the State Migration Service within 15 days of arrival by either visiting the State Migration Service in person or online. Hotels may provide this service for their guests, but visitors staying in apartments or private residences will have to register by themselves. Each traveller is responsible for ensuring that the registration has been completed.

Those staying longer than 30 days can either apply to extend their visa on compassionate grounds or will need to obtain a temporary residence card. For more information refer to the State Migration Service.

Dual nationals

Azerbaijan doesn’t allow adults (18 years or older) to hold dual nationality. You may be refused entry, denied departure or even face criminal liability if you’re 18 years or older and are found to be holding both an Azerbaijani passport and a passport of a different nationality. If you’re a British passport holder with links to Azerbaijan (through birth or otherwise) and wish to check your nationality status contact the State Migration Service before you travel. Children under 18 years old holding a second nationality shouldn’t face any difficulties.