Foreign travel advice

Antarctica/British Antarctic Territory


Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

During the COVID-19 pandemic, it is more important than ever to get travel insurance and check it provides sufficient cover. See the FCDO’s guidance on foreign travel insurance.

The British Antarctic Territory is a British Overseas Territory administered from London. There is no formal British diplomatic or consular representation in the British Antarctic Territory.

You may need a permit issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) if you’re organising a trip to Antarctica, including the British Antarctic Territory. See Permits.

Consider travelling with a company affiliated to the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators, whose members sign up to codes of practice on operational and environmental safety.

Tour operators have their own guidelines for certain types of adventure activities. These can vary between operator and may be different to those applicable in the UK, or unique to Antarctica. If in any doubt about safety, you should check with your tour operator.

The British Antarctic Territory is inaccessible during the winter (March-October). During the rest of the year there will be times when landings may be difficult due to weather conditions. See Local Travel.

Although there’s no recent history of terrorism in the British Antarctic Territory, attacks can’t be ruled out. See Terrorism.