Find a lost UTR number

You’ll automatically be sent a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) when you:

  • register for Self Assessment
  • set up a limited company

It’s a 10-digit number. It might just be called ‘tax reference’.

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

Where to find your UTR

Your UTR is on previous tax returns and other documents from HMRC, for example:

  • notices to file a return
  • payment reminders

You can also find your UTR in your Personal Tax Account if you’re registered for Self Assessment.

If you cannot find your UTR

Call the Self Assessment helpline to request your UTR if you cannot find any documents from HMRC.

If you have a limited company, you can request your Corporation Tax UTR online. HMRC will send it to the business address that’s registered with Companies House.