Get an emergency travel document

Skip to contents of guide

If you're not a British citizen

You can apply online if either:

If you cannot apply online

You’ll usually need to apply for a UK passport instead. You can only apply for an emergency travel document in exceptional circumstances.

Exceptional circumstances do not include travelling to planned events such as a holiday or needing a document to prove your residency or enrol in a school.

Complete the contact form to explain your exceptional circumstances. You’ll need to provide supporting documents.

If you prove that you have exceptional circumstances, you’ll be invited to apply for an emergency travel document.