Disabled Facilities Grants

Skip to contents of guide

What you'll get

How much you get usually depends on your:

  • household income
  • household savings over £6,000

Disabled children under 18 can get a grant without their parents’ income being taken into account. Contact your local council for more information.

Landlords can get a grant without their income and savings being taken into account. The council may ask for the property to be let to another disabled person if the current tenant moves within 5 years.

How much you can apply for

Country Grant
England Up to £30,000
Wales Up to £36,000
Northern Ireland Up to £25,000
Scotland Disabled Facilities Grants are not available, find out about support for equipment and adaptations

Some councils may give more.

Depending on your income, you may need to pay towards the cost of the work to the property.

You can apply for another grant for the same property if you need to. For example, if your condition changes.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

How you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • in instalments, as the work progresses
  • in full, when the work is finished

The council may pay the contractor directly or give you a cheque to pass on to them. They’ll agree this with you when they approve your application.

When you’ll be paid

You’ll be paid either:

  • when you and the council are happy with the finished work
  • when you give the council the invoice, demand or receipt for payment from the contractor

Normally, if you (or a relative) do the work the council will only accept invoices for materials or services you’ve bought.