Disabled Facilities Grants

Skip to contents of guide


To get a grant, you or someone else living in the house must:

  • be disabled
  • intend to live in the property during the grant period (usually 5 years but this can be shorter, for example, if the person is terminally ill)

The person who submits the application must be either the:

  • owner
  • tenant
  • landlord

The council needs to be happy that the work is:

  • necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs
  • reasonable and can be done, depending on the age and condition of the property

The work should be completed within 12 months of the grant being approved.

You might not get any grant if you start work on your property before the council approves your application.

Planning and building regulations approval

You need to apply separately for any planning permission or building regulations approval.

The council may ask you to employ a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee the work. If you get a grant, you can use it towards the cost of their fees.