How to claim

To claim DLA for a child you need to be their parent or look after them as if you’re their parent. This includes step-parents, guardians, grandparents, foster-parents or older brothers or sisters.

If your child currently lives in England or Wales you can apply by either:

  • printing off and filling in the DLA claim form
  • phoning the Disability Living Allowance helpline and asking for a printed form

Disability Living Allowance helpline
Telephone: 0800 121 4600
Textphone: 0800 121 4523
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 121 4600
British Sign Language (BSL) video relay service if you’re on a computer - find out how to use the service on mobile or tablet Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

If your child lives in Northern Ireland, apply for DLA for children in Northern Ireland. If your child lives in Scotland, apply for Child Disability Payment.

If your child moves from Scotland to England or Wales

Your Child Disability Payment will stop 13 weeks after your child moves.

Apply for DLA for children as soon as possible after moving or your payments could be affected.

When you’ll be paid

DLA can be paid from the start of your claim. It cannot be backdated. Your claim will start on the date the form is received or the date you call the enquiry line (if you return the claim pack within 6 weeks).

After you’ve applied, you’ll get a letter within 3 weeks that explains how long it’ll take to get a decision. Once the decision has been made, you’ll get another letter that’ll tell you when you’ll get your first payment.

If the child might have 12 months or less to live

There are special rules if a medical professional has said the child might have 12 months or less to live, so they can get DLA more quickly.

Phone the Disability Living Allowance helpline to start your claim. Ask a medical professional for form SR1. They’ll either fill it in and give the form to you or send it directly to the Department for Work and Pensions.

If you disagree with a decision

You can challenge a decision about your claim. This is called asking for mandatory reconsideration.