The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service allows:
- applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date
- employers to check a DBS certificate
DBS checks used to be called CRB checks.
You need to register to use the update service.
Registration costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer.
How to register
If you’ve not yet applied for a DBS check, you can register for the update service using the application reference number. DBS must receive your application form within 28 days.
If you’ve already applied, you can register for the update service using your DBS certificate number. You must do this within 19 days of the certificate being issued.
You can use the DBS tracking service to check the progress of your DBS certificate.
What you get
Once you’ve registered, you can use the update service to:
- view your details
- take your certificate from one job to the next
- give employers permission to check your certificate
- see who’s checked your certificate
- add or remove a certificate
Renewing your subscription
A subscription to the update service lasts for one year.
You can renew your subscription through the update service, either:
- when you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
- within the last 30 days of your current subscription - but you can’t renew on the last day of your subscription
If you don’t renew your subscription before it ends, you’ll need to apply for a new DBS check and register for the update service again.
Employers and other organisations
To check a DBS certificate status online, employers and other organisations must:
- be legally entitled to carry out a check
- have the worker’s permission
Employers don’t need to pay or register to carry out a status check. They can see the results from the check straight away.
Read the detailed guidance for employers.
Sensitive applications team
PO Box 165