The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) update service allows:
- applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date
- employers to check a DBS certificate
DBS checks used to be called CRB checks.
You need to register to use the update service.
Registration costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer.
How to register
If you’ve not yet applied for a DBS check, you can register for the update service using your application reference number (the ‘form ref’ on your application form). DBS must receive your application form within 28 days.
If you’ve already applied, you can register for the update service using your DBS certificate number. You must do this within 19 days of the certificate being issued.
You can use the DBS tracking service to check the progress of your DBS certificate.
What you get
You’ll be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:
- an employer asks you to get a new certificate
- you need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, you have an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
- you need a different level certificate (for example, you have a standard DBS certificate and need an enhanced one)
The employer can tell you what DBS certificate they need you to have.
Once you’ve registered, you can use the update service to:
- add or remove a certificate
- give employers permission to check if anything’s changed on your certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on your certificate
- view your details
Renewing your subscription
A subscription to the update service lasts for one year.
You can renew your subscription through the update service, either:
- when you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
- up to 30 days before your current subscription ends - but you can’t renew on the last day of your subscription
Sign in to your account to renew your subscription.
If you don’t renew your subscription before it ends, you’ll need to apply for a new DBS check and register for the update service again.
Employers and other organisations
To check a DBS certificate status online, employers and other organisations must:
- be legally entitled to carry out a check
- have the worker’s permission
Employers don’t need to pay or register to carry out a status check. They can see the results from the check straight away.
Read the detailed guidance for employers.
DBS customer services
Telephone: 0300 0200 190
Welsh: 0300 0200 191
Minicom: 0300 0200 192
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Saturday, 10am to 5pm
Find out about call charges
Sensitive applications team
PO Box 165