The online Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Update Service allows:
- applicants to keep their DBS certificates up to date
- employers to check a DBS certificate
You can only use the Update Service for standard and enhanced checks.
If you have a basic check, register for an online services account instead.
You need to register to use the Update Service.
Registration costs £13 per year (payable by debit or credit card only). There’s no charge if you’re a volunteer.
How to register
If you’ve not yet applied for a DBS check, you can register for the Update Service using your application reference number (the ‘form ref’ on your application form). DBS must receive your application form within 28 days.
If you’ve already applied, you can register for the Update Service using your DBS certificate number. You must do this within 30 days of the certificate being issued.
What you get
You’ll be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:
- an employer asks you to get a new certificate
- you need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, you have an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
- you need a different level certificate (for example, you have a standard DBS certificate and need an enhanced one)
The employer can tell you what DBS certificate they need you to have.
Once you’ve registered, you can use the Update Service to:
- add or remove a certificate
- give employers permission to check if anything’s changed on your certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on your certificate
- view your details
Renewing your subscription
A subscription to the Update Service lasts for one year.
You can renew your subscription through the Update Service, either:
- when you first register, by choosing automatic renewal
- up to 30 days before your current subscription ends - but you can not renew on the last day of your subscription
Sign in to your account to renew your subscription.
If you do not renew your subscription before it ends, you’ll need to apply for a new DBS check and register for the Update Service again.
Employers and other organisations
To check a DBS certificate status online, employers and other organisations must:
Employers do not need to pay or register to carry out a status check. They can see the results from the check straight away.
Read the detailed guidance for employers.
Sensitive applications team
PO Box 165