As an employer, you can access the update service to do status checks on an individual’s DBS certificate, if they've joined the service.
PDF, 260KB, 14 pages
This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.
If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email email@example.com. Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.
The update service will only check for updates against the individual who got the DBS check. It doesn’t check against an address for home based positions, or any other individuals working or living at that address.
You don’t need to pay or register to carry out a status check. You’ll be able to see a certificate status check straight away. But you must be legally entitled to carry out a check and have the person’s permission
Published: 23 May 2013
Updated: 22 March 2016
- Added examples of how employers can legally use the update service.
- Added further information about using the update service for home based positions.
- Added the employer guidance in Welsh.
- Applicants now have 19 calendar days to join the update service with their DBS certificate number.
- Wording of application reference changed to application form reference.
- Updated in response to customer feedback.
- Updated to version 3.4
- Updated to version 3.2
- New version 3.1
- New version.
- Version 2 of the document.
- First published.