What we do
We handle shipping and maritime disputes. Cases that we hear include:
- collisions between ships
- disputes over the transport of cargo
- salvage of a ship, cargo or crew
- disputes over goods supplied to a ship
- disputes over mortgages and other security over ships
- claims by passengers for injuries suffered
- claims by ship crew for unpaid wages
- claims by shipowners to limit liability for loss or damage
We handle both claims brought against the owner of a ship (‘in personam’ claims) and claims brought against the ship itself (‘in rem’ claims). We can also hear claims brought against other types of crafts (for example aircraft) as well as cargo.
We can seize (‘arrest’) ships and cargos to prevent them being moved and can also sell them within England and Wales.
Who we are
We are a specialist court within the Queen’s Bench Division of the High Court of Justice.
We are based in the Rolls Building, London. Cases are heard by one Admiralty Judge, whilst other matters may be heard by the Admiralty Register. Arrests, release and the sale of ships are handled by the Admiralty Marshal.
Contact Admiralty Court
7 Rolls Building
Opening hours and facilities:
Listings and hearings
Telephone 020 7947 6826
Registry and applications
Telephone 020 7947 6112