Complaints procedure

How to provide feedback or make a complaint to HM Courts & Tribunals Service.

What we can help with

We want to know when our service falls short of what you expect. This is so we can put things right, make improvements and learn from the experience.

The HMCTS complaints process looks at the way your case was handled by our administrative team – Any judicial decisions made in your case will not be affected if you decide to make a complaint.

We like feedback and can help with complaints about:

  • Handling your case:
    the way your case was handled by our administrative team
  • Buildings:
    the condition of our buildings and the facilities in them
  • Security:
    court and tribunal security policy and procedures, including how we carry out security checks and searches
  • Your experience:
    how you were treated when you were in a HMCTS building. We welcome feedback from everyone who uses our courts and tribunals, including victims, witnesses, defendants or jurors and professional court users such as legal professionals.

How to contact us

The quickest way to get a response is to contact the court directly – either in person, by email, phone or letter.

  1. Speak to a member of court or tribunal staff while you are in the building. They are best placed to listen to your feedback, resolve your complaint quickly and explain anything that is unclear.
  2. Contact the court or tribunal directly where the problem happened by email, phone or letter.
  3. Make a complaint using our online form. You should normally receive a response within 10 working days.

If you’re not satisfied with our response to your complaint

Ask for a review

If you’re not happy with the reply to your complaint or the way it was handled, you can ask for a review. Details about how to do this will be included in our response to you. We aim to reply within 10 working days.

Ask the Customer Investigation Team to look at your complaint again

If you’re not satisfied with the review, you can ask our Customer Investigations Team to look at your complaint again. The senior manager dealing with your review can provide details on how to do this. We aim to reply within 15 working days.

Contact your MP

If you’re still not happy after the appeal, you can ask your MP to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

Find contact details for your MP or phone 020 7219 4272.

The ombudsman may be able to investigate your complaint.

If you’re unhappy with judicial conduct

Find out how to complain about a judge, tribunal member or magistrate if you’re not happy with the way they behaved towards you. The Judicial Conduct Investigation Office do not accept complaints about a judge’s decision or the way a judge has managed a case. They will only look at complaints about personal misconduct by the judiciary.

If you’re unhappy with the result of a case

You cannot use our complaints process above to challenge a judicial decision. If you think that a judge’s decision was incorrect, you may want to seek legal advice if you decide to appeal against the decision. Find out how to make an appeal.