Find out about eligibility and requirements for the tree guard (tube and mesh) item.
How much will be paid
£4 per guard.
Where to use this item
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Only on trees within a parcel managed with one of the following options:
- BE3 - Management of hedgerows
- BE4 - Management of traditional orchards (Higher Tier only)
- BE5 - Creation of traditional orchards (Higher Tier only)
- WD4 - Management of wood pasture and parkland (Higher Tier only)
- WD5 - Restoration of wood pasture and parkland (Higher Tier only)
- WD6 - Creation of wood pasture and parkland (Higher Tier only)
- WD7 - Management of successional areas and scrub
- WD8 - Creation of successional area and scrub (Higher Tier only)
Where this item cannot be used
With the following items:
How this item will benefit the environment
If successful this item will protect trees from damage caused by grazing animals and wild animals.
- erect tree guards at least 1.5 metres high and made of a tree tube and stake
- use chicken wire to prevent animals from grazing or rubbing against the tree - barbed wire can be fastened around the chicken wire to provide extra protection.
the design of the tree guard must allow access for:
- carrying out formative pruning
- applying a mulch
- clearing vegetation around the base of each tree
- fasten guards to the tree
- attach guards so that they rub against, constrict or damage the tree in any way
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Mid Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs of the completed work
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- photographs of existing trees to be protected
Related Mid Tier items
This item can be used with the following items:
- TE1 - Planting standard hedgerow tree
- TE3 - Planting fruit trees
- TE2 - Planting standard parkland tree (Higher Tier only)
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.