How much will be paid
Up to 80% of actual costs.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier
Only on sites that either:
- need specialist operations or machinery, with costs that cannot be covered by the scheme’s fixed-rate scrub control payments - this includes sensitive habitats and areas with difficult or hazardous working conditions, such as steep slopes, bogs and islands
- or have it as a requirement of an approved Forestry Commission woodland management plan
Where this item cannot be used
- to control dwarf and western gorse, as these are key parts of heathland
- to manage scrub by grazing
- send at least 3 written quotations for completing the work to Natural England or the Forestry Commission - quotes must identify associated costs
- agree the selected quote with Natural England or the Forestry Commission
- carry out scrub control during the autumn and winter
- follow guidance on what to do with any stumps and how to dispose of cut material
- control re-growth
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- records of when the scrub control was carried out
- a record of any pesticide or herbicide treatments, including dates and locations
- a Forestry Commission approved Woodland Management Plan or a Natural England approved implementation plan, if relevant
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- receipted invoices or bank statements where a receipted invoice is unavailable
- photographs of the completed work
If the work is set out in one of the following, applicants will need to send it with their application:
- a Forestry Commission approved Woodland Management Plan
- a Natural England approved implementation plan
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item.
Cut scrub to ground level. Don’t disturb the roots or leave protruding stems.
For stump removal use the TE12 - Stump grinding.