LV2: Livestock handling facilities
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the livestock handling facilities item.
How much will be paid
Up to 80% of actual costs.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier
Only in conjunction with a land management option and if:
- a new management regime is being introduced on the site
- a substantial change in grazing management is needed
- livestock handling facilities are essential for carrying out the associated land management option
Where this item cannot be used
- existing handling facilities are available
- the site is not grazed
- it will damage historic and archaeological features
- it will damage peat exposures or other sensitive soils
- it will lead to poaching (trampling) damage
How this item will benefit the environment
It will help to improve grazing management.
- agree a specification for the works with Natural England in the first year of the agreement
- get at least 3 written quotations for the cost of the works. Agree the selected quotation with Natural England
- complete the works as set out in the approved specification and within the agreed timescale
- erect permanent posts in the locations where mobile facilities will be used
- provide a map of the locations where mobile facilities will be used
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- photographs to show the completed works
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements for more detail
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- the 3 quotes for completion of the work
- written details of where mobile facilities will be stored when they are not in use
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this item
The following section gives advice on carrying out this item successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this item
How to construct livestock handling facilities
This item will typically fund handling pens for cattle, and holding pens and shedding race for sheep.
Agree on a design and location with the adviser. Choose a design and construction materials that blend in with the local landscape.
When choosing a site, make sure that there is no damage to other features or natural resources. Ensure that poaching or vehicle access do not cause ground disturbance in the vicinity of the site. ##Further information
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- First published.