AC1: Access capital items
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the access capital items item.
How much will be paid
Up to 100% of actual cost.
Where to use this item
Available for Higher Tier.
Only for new structures.
Where this item cannot be used
- when the agreement holder is obliged to offer structures for public access to the holding
- to maintain existing structures
How this item will benefit the environment
If successful there will be greater public accessibility of the countryside or enhanced educational visits.
- agree with Natural England a detailed specification for the item
- get at least 3 written quotations for the work, making sure they identify associated costs
- have Natural England agree the quote
- create, install and complete the access capital item according to the specification agreed with Natural England
- carry out any construction work related to the item unless it has been approved by Natural England
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- any consents or permissions connected with the work
- please see the record keeping and inspection requirements as set out in the Higher Tier manual for more detail
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them with the claim:
- receipted invoices, or bank statements where a receipted invoice is not available
- photographs of the completed work
- detailed specification document
Applicants are likely to have to send the following with their application:
- evidence of demand and need for the access capital item, eg documentation from supporters, potential users and partner organisations
- copies of any planning or other permission
- photograph before works commence
- quotes for completion of the work
The detailed requirements for this item will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Higher Tier applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- Update to 'keeping records' section.
- First published.