OT4: Organic land management - horticulture
Find out about eligibility and requirements for the organic land management - horticulture option.
How much will be paid
£200 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Whole or part-parcel
- land registered as ‘fully organic’ by a Defra-licensed organic control body
- land parcels that have been cultivated in the preceding 7 years
How this option will benefit the environment
Maintains land under organic management, providing a wide range of environmental and public benefits.
If successful you should see these benefits increase and the organic area maintained.
- comply with organic standards for the life of the agreement
- enter a maximum area of 20ha into the option
- maintain the total hectarage (area) that was committed to at the beginning of the agreement for the whole of the agreement
- keep at least 40% of the area entered for this option in horticultural production with produce for human consumption at any single stage of the rotation
- keep at least 1 horticultural crop in each field parcel (or part parcel) during the agreement
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- a valid organic certificate and schedule for all the parcels entered into this option with your annual claim
- an up-to-date conversion plan approved by an organic control body
Applicants will have to send the following with their application:
- farm records to show that any permanent grassland parcels entered for this option have been cultivated within the previous 7 years
- a valid organic certificate and schedule for all the parcels entered into this option
Related Mid Tier options
Other Countryside Stewardship options and supplements relevant to arable and rotational land management may be used on the same land area where eligibility rules allow.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option.
Permanent ineligible features may be eligible as part of the option area if registered with a control body.
Published: 2 April 2015
Updated: 10 March 2017
- Updated for 2017 applications.
- Information updated for applications in 2016.
- Created list under 'This option can only be used:' to add second bullet.
- Update to 'keeping records' section.
- First published.