How much will be paid
£400 per hectare (ha) per year, for up to 2 years.
Where to use this option
Available for Mid Tier and Higher Tier
Whole or part parcel
- land registered as ‘in conversion’ with a Defra-licensed organic control body
- arable land, temporary grassland or on permanent grassland where cultivation is part of the conversion plan
Where this option cannot be used
- on parcels that have previously been registered with an organic control body by the applicant
- on parcels for which the applicant has previously received conversion aid
How this option will benefit the environment
It helps to convert rotational land used to produce vegetables or salads into organic status land.
If successful there will be an increase in the overall area of land used to produce organic products.
- follow the conversion plan agreed with an organic control body for the land and associated stock
- comply with organic standards from the start of organic conversion to the end of the agreement
- make sure that all land has completed conversion and is registered as ‘fully organic’ before the end of the agreement
- enter a maximum area of 20ha into the option
- keep at least 1 horticultural crop in each field parcel (or part parcel) during the agreement
Applicants will have to send with their application, either:
- a copy of the conversion plan agreed with the organic control body; or
- a fully completed viability plan
Agreement holders who submitted a viability plan with their application must start their organic conversion process and submit a copy of the conversion plan (agreed with the organic control body) with their first payment claim.
All agreement holders will need to supply a valid organic certificate and schedule with their annual payment claims.
Agreement holders will need to keep up to date and supply on request a conversion plan that has been approved by an organic control body.
Related Mid Tier options
The Organic management – horticultural land option (OT4), should follow on from this option, when the organic conversion period is completed.
Other Countryside Stewardship options and supplements relevant to arable and rotational land management may be used on the same land area where eligibility rules allow.
Advice and suggestions for how to carry out this option
The following section gives advice on carrying out this option successfully but does not form part of the requirements for this option.
Permanent ineligible features may be eligible as part of the option area if registered with a control body.