How much will be paid
£153 per hectare (ha).
Where to use this supplement
Available for Higher Tier
Whole and part-parcel
Only in combination with a land management option. The most common such options include:
- LH1 - Management of lowland heathland
- LH2 - Restoration of forestry and woodland to lowland heathland
- LH3 - Creation of heathland from arable or improved grassland
- UP1 - Enclosed rough grazing
- UP2 - Management of rough grazing for birds
- UP3 - Management of moorland
This supplement can also be used to control bracken on other options, such as on dry grassland, woodland or sand dunes.
Where this supplement cannot be used
On the same area in the same year as the bracken control capital items:
This supplement would normally be used in subsequent years, as a follow-up to these items.
How this supplement will benefit the environment
It controls the spread of, or removes, existing dense stands of bracken. This will maintain or restore biodiversity value and protect archaeological sites.
If successful the underlying vegetation will develop and spread, and will develop a diverse mosaic structure and composition, including undisturbed bare ground and varied vegetation types.
Successfully managing the remaining vegetation (usually by grazing or cutting) will reduce the chances of bracken spreading back. Locally characteristic plant communities and the species they support will expand or even colonise the site.
Agreement holders are likely to need to:
- control bracken so that cover is reduced to a set proportion by a set date
- only carry out chemical control on specifically identified areas
- use temporary grazing controls to protect vegetation regeneration
- graze to break up litter beds and damage young fronds to offer extra bracken control
- control any re-infestation during the term of the agreement
- carry out specific follow up cutting or grazing management tailored to their site
Agreement holders will need to keep the following records and supply them on request:
- stock records to show grazing activity on parcels
- consents or permissions connected with this work
- field operations at the parcel level, including associated invoices
On your annual claim you will be asked to declare that you haven’t carried out any activities prohibited by the option requirements.
Applicants will need to send the following with their application:
- a map of the extent of bracken
- the Environment Agency’s consent if this is within a water catchment area
The detailed requirements for this supplement will be tailored to the Higher Tier site. Applicants should discuss and agree these requirements with their adviser.
This supplement can be located on the same area as the following supplements:
- UP6 - Upland livestock exclusion supplement
- WD9 - Livestock exclusion supplement - scrub and successional areas
- SP1 - Difficult sites supplement
- SP5 - Shepherding supplement
- SP6 - Cattle grazing supplement
- SP7 - Introduction of cattle grazing on the Isles of Scilly
- SP8 - Native breeds at risk supplement
- SP9 - Threatened species supplement
See the Higher Tier manual to find out more about the scheme and how to apply.