The CMA is investigating the anticipated acquisition by Tesco plc of Booker Group plc.
Date of referral: 12.7.17
Statutory deadline: 26.12.17
Next milestone: Provisional findings due in October 2017
- Full administrative timetable (28.7.17)
The publication of the evidence of any party on the CMA’s webpages does not indicate in any way endorsement by the CMA of the views expressed in the evidence or acceptance of that evidence. Publication in this way is designed to assist public understanding of the issues.
Responses to issues statement
- Symbol operator (13.9.17)
- Association of Convenience Stores (5.9.17)
- Bestway Wholesale Limited (5.9.17)
- British Brands Group (5.9.17)
Response to phase 1 decision and issues statement
- Tesco/Booker (PDF, 4.39 MB) (24.8.17)
9 August 2017: The issues statement sets out the scope of the investigation. It outlines initial theories on what might be adversely affecting competition, but it does not set out findings or conclusions.
- Issues statement (9.8.17)
Inquiry group appointed
14 July 2017: The CMA appointed the inquiry group on 13 July 2017.
Terms of reference
12 July 2017: The CMA has referred the anticipated acquisition by Tesco plc of Booker Group plc for an in-depth phase 2 investigation.
- Terms of reference (13.7.17)
|Phase 1 date||Action|
|21 July 2017||Decision published|
|12 July 2017||Decision announced|
|30 May 2017 to 13 June 2017||Invitation to comment|
|30 May 2017||Launch of merger inquiry|
|30 May 2017||Initial enforcement order|
12 July 2017: The CMA has referred the anticipated acquisition by Tesco plc of Booker Group plc for an in-depth phase 2 investigation under its fast track procedure at the request of the merging parties. A copy of the decision is available below.
- Full text decision (21.7.17)
- Press release: Tesco/Booker merger referred for in-depth investigation (12.7.17)
Fast track application
29 June 2017: Tesco and Booker have requested that the CMA make a fast track referral to phase 2 in its investigation into the merger.
Press release: Tesco/Booker request fast track referral (29.6.17)
Invitation to comment: now closed
30 May 2017: The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is considering whether it is or may be the case that this transaction, if carried into effect, will result in the creation of a relevant merger situation under the merger provisions of the Enterprise Act 2002 and, if so, whether the creation of that situation may be expected to result in a substantial lessening of competition within any market or markets in the United Kingdom for goods or services.
Launch of merger inquiry
30 May 2017: The CMA announced the launch of its merger inquiry by notice to the parties.
- Commencement of initial period notice (30.5.17)
- News story: CMA opens Tesco/Booker merger investigation (30.5.17)
Initial enforcement order
The CMA served an initial enforcement order under section 72(2) of the Enterprise Act 2002 on Booker Group plc.
- Initial enforcement order (30.5.17)
Please send written representations about any competition issues to:
Competition and Markets Authority
Published: 30 May 2017
Updated: 13 September 2017
Opened: 30 May 2017
- Response to issues statement published.
- Responses to issues statement published.
- Response to phase 1 decision and issues statement published.
- Issues statement published.
- Timetable published.
- Full text of the decision published.
- Inquiry group appointments added.
- Terms of reference published.
- Reference decision announced.
- Fast track application announcement added.
- First published.